If I'm in a blue mood, one of the best ways to distract myself, and give myself a quick shot of cheer, is to watch a laugh-inducing movie.
Last week, I posted about 7 great movies about the nature of happiness and love. These are wonderful movies; they're transcendent, but not in a laugh-out-loud way. It's a Secret of Adulthood: Happiness doesn't always make you feel happpy. A mystery.
Here, though, are nine movies that always put a smile on my face:
- Shrek -- I've seen this movie countless times, and it gets funnier every time. "That's a niiiiiiice boulder."
- Groundhog Day -- very funny, and also very deep.
- The Sound of Music -- I think I've memorized every word of the dialogue and every note of every song.
- Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory -- funny, whimsical, just a little bit eerie, makes me nostalgic for my childhood in a nice way.
- Tootsie -- how I love this movie. So many funny lines.
- Annie Hall -- again, I know every line.
- This Is Spinal Tap -- I love all Christopher Guest movies, but this is my favorite.
- Monsters, Inc. -- so hilarious, so clever; my favorite part is the "blooper reel" at the end.
- Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery -- I confess, I can't remember much about the movie, but I'm including it on the list because I love the opening sequence so much. Watch it here if you need a quick pick-me-up.
In the podcast, in episode 61, Elizabeth and I talk about familiarity vs. novelty. I love familiarity, and have re-watched these movies many times. But not everyone loves to watch (or read) things over and over, I know.
What movies would you add? I'd love to add a bunch of suggestions to my to-watch list.
Get monthly newsletter updates from Gretchen.
Dive into The Blog
More Posts For You
Find out if you’re an Upholder, Obliger, Questioner, or a Rebel.
The Four Tendencies explain why we act and why we don’t act. Our Tendency shapes every aspect of our behavior, so understanding your Tendency lets us make better decisions, meet deadlines, suffer less stress and burnout, and engage more effectively.