Given that Valentine’s Day is approaching, if you’d like to read a novel about relationships, here are some of my favorites.
Never fear, each one stands on its own, and is well worth reading even if you’re not particularly interested in the subject. If you’re looking for a compelling, page-turning novel, choose any one of these:
- Crossing to Safety, Wallace Stegner – A beautiful account of love as it unfolds over the years. Fun fact: Justice O’Connor told me this is her favorite book.
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen – of course! One of the most purely enjoyable novels of all time, with a great hero and heroine.
- Happy All the Time, Laurie Colwin – a happy story of new love, with all its delights and anxieties.
- The Enchanted April, Elizabeth von Arnim – four very different women, strangers to each other, rent a castle in Italy for a month, which has unexpected consequences in their lives.
- Gilead, Marilynne Robinson – love comes to a minister, very late in his life. One of my favorite novels, ever.
What’s your favorite book about relationships?