For many years, I’ve chosen a one-word theme for the year. Looking back, I see that there’s a real theme: “Upgrade,” “Bigger,” “Lighten Up,” “Re-purpose,” “Delegate,” and "Growth." (“Lighten Up” is a much-needed outlier, I suppose.)
My theme for 2020 is “Infrastructure,” because I’ve realized that I need more infrastructure.
When I first started my career as a writer, I spent all my time…writing. Then I started a blog. Then I started a podcast. Then I started doing online courses, newsletters, journals, YouTube videos, and even a coloring book.
I love doing all this work, and having new ways to put ideas out into the world to engage with people. And at this point, I need more help.
I’m planning to hire a Growth Strategy and Operations Executive to lead the business side of my work. This person will be a thought partner, a second brain, someone who will get to know everything about what I do and will think strategically about growth and execution. This person will have extensive experience that will allow them to identify, vet, and lead new opportunities for growth, and grow and manage a team, with a focus on budget, numbers, and metrics.
If this description sounds interesting to you (see below), and you have the appropriate experience, please read on and consider applying.
I'm sharing this post publicly because it would be wonderful to find the right person within my own community—someone who's already familiar with my work, and who connects to it in their own life.
We’ll review all applications and schedule interviews over the next few weeks. If your application process will continue, you’ll hear from us. Note: in order to handle applications in an efficient way, we won’t be responding to applications unless they’re moving to that next stage.
Please feel free to forward this post to anyone you know who might be qualified and interested.
Onward and upward!
Growth Strategy and Operations Executive
The Gretchen Rubin media brand is searching for a Growth Strategy and Operations Executive to lead the business side of the brand. This individual will be a thought partner, a second brain, who will get to know everything about the brand and think strategically about growth and execute effectively to meet the goals.
Identify, vet, and lead new opportunities for growth; identify and oversee the hiring and management of specialists to carry out that growth; work constantly to amplify each element of the brand and find ways for elements to support each other; grow the footprint; and determine the budget and plan for hiring a team.
This is a full time, salaried, employee position.
Specific tasks for each outcome listed above:
- Identify, vet, and lead new opportunities for growth
- Have a vision for, and oversee the hiring and coordination of, specialists to carry out that growth
- Work constantly to amplify each element of the brand, and find ways for elements to support each other
- Grow the Gretchen Rubin footprint and raise the profile
- Determine budget and plan for hiring a team, identify growth markers to continue growing that team
Competencies and experience:
- Experience building and managing a team and collaborative work with clear, achievable, ambitious goals
- Proven ability to identify an aim and design all the steps necessary to execute
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to analyze strategically
- Experience with financial planning and ROI decisions
- Ability to crunch data and make sense of metrics
- Connection to Gretchen Rubin material
- Ability to work independently, follow through without accountability, self-assign what needs to be done
- Ability to listen to constructive criticism and direction
- Speaks and writes clearly
- Loves data and data-driven decision-making
- Evaluates and advocates for a course of action dispassionately and constructively, without a lot of emotion or ego
- Able to oversee the entire production process
- Experience as a hard-working member of a leadership team in a growth-oriented, “scrappy” company or unit
- Lives within an hour’s travel of New York City
- Has worked in media
- Has worked on building and evaluating cross-platform content
- Has experience and enthusiasm for design and creative process
- Has experience with using/managing multi-channel marketing strategies and spend (using paid, partnerships, PR, content, etc.)
- Experience both in engaging an audience and turning that audience into paying customers
- Experience in analyzing the existing competitive landscape
- Built strategic partnerships
- Always on the hunt for new opportunities or possibilities; imaginative
- Willing to tackle large and small tasks; pitches in
- Attention to detail, organized
- Respectful of others
- Efficient, highly productive, able to keep a lot of balls in the air
- Excellent communicator
- Wants to learn and lead
- Self-directed, reliable
- No drama; straightforward
One Last Thing
Interested in happiness, habits, and human nature?
Sign up to get my free weekly newsletter. I share ideas for being happier, healthier, more productive, and more creative.
Dive into The Blog
More Posts For You
Find out if you’re an Upholder, Obliger, Questioner, or a Rebel.
The Four Tendencies explain why we act and why we don’t act. Our Tendency shapes every aspect of our behavior, so understanding your Tendency lets us make better decisions, meet deadlines, suffer less stress and burnout, and engage more effectively.