In the United States, Mother’s Day 2022 falls on Sunday, May 8.
Lately, I've been working on a Calendar of Catalysts that suggests dates we can use as prompts for reflection and action. For many people, a holiday like Mother's Day can be a useful reminder to think about important relationships.
If you’re looking for a gift for a mother in your life—or for yourself—here are a few items that I often give as gifts:
- John Derian Sticker Book—A thoughtful listener suggested that I might like this book, and wow, I certainly do! This is the perfect gift for people who love to make things with their hands, or to personalize items. These stickers are very unusual, and quite sophisticated.
- A Pattern Language—I was so sorry to see that Christopher Alexander, the author of this strange, brilliant book, recently died. This book changed the way I see the world.
- GloFX Flow Ring—It's hard to describe this item...a kinetic bracelet? Whimsical and fun if you're looking for a playful little gift.
- Bandolier--The Bandolier lets you sling your smartphone around your neck. I've given this item to so many people. Especially for people who travel a lot, or who do a lot of moving around during the day, it's invaluable. Mine also has a small pocket on the case, where I keep my subway card, credit card, insurance card, and driver's license--which means that often, I can leave my apartment without any bag at all.
Also, I can't resist mentioning things that I've worked to create:
- Memento Keepsake Journal—an easy way to capture memories and organize mementos
- One-Sentence Journal—for anyone who wants to keep a meaningful record of their lives
- “Onward & Upward” T-Shirt—perfect for fans of the podcast or books
- The Happiness Project Mini Posters Coloring Book—a fun and meditative activity for all ages
Also, every year I hear from many people who are giving or receiving one of my books for Mother's Day—most often, it seems, Outer Order, Inner Calm, The Happiness Project, or Happier at Home (of all my books, Happier at Home is my sister Elizabeth's favorite). Which is wonderful!
If you'd like free, personalized, signed bookplates, for yourself or for your gifts, to make the books more special, request them here, and I'll get them to you as quickly as possible. (Feel free to ask for as many as you want, but U.S. and Canada only, sorry—mailing costs.)
Five years ago, in honor of Mother's Day, I wrote about one of my happiest memories of my mother. If you're interested, you can read it here.
One Last Thing
Interested in happiness, habits, and human nature?
Sign up to get my free weekly newsletter. I share ideas for being happier, healthier, more productive, and more creative.
Dive into The Blog
More Posts For You
Find out if you’re an Upholder, Obliger, Questioner, or a Rebel.
The Four Tendencies explain why we act and why we don’t act. Our Tendency shapes every aspect of our behavior, so understanding your Tendency lets us make better decisions, meet deadlines, suffer less stress and burnout, and engage more effectively.