Update: Registration is now open for my 12-month video course: The Happiness Project Experience 2021! With a flexible structure, monthly calls with me, a private community, text-message reminders, and more, this tool helps you identify the resolutions that will bring more happiness to your life—and then helps you keep those resolutions. Click here and use promo code HAPPIER to get $25 off.
Also, if you want personalized, signed, free bookplates to put inside a book that you're planning to give as gifts, be sure to request them ASAP so I can get them mailed to you before the holidays. Request here. (U.S. and Canada only, I'm afraid—mailing costs.)
Listener Questions: Ask Us Anything!
With every 100th episode, we celebrate by doing an "Ask Us Anything" episode.
We discuss listeners' questions about:
- whether we ever feel guilty about reading -- and we mention trying the Strategy of Scheduling
- how our parents raised us to have such a close sisterly relationship as adults
- why Elizabeth loves the last scene of Mad Men so much -- if you want to watch Coca-Cola's iconic "Hilltop" ad from 1971, it's here
- how I organize my research and writing
- how we prepare for each episode. We mention two podcast resources: Nick Quah has an excellent newsletter Hot Pod, which covers industry news, and Kristen Meinzer, one of our former producers, has a terrific book So You Want to Start a Podcast, Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community that Will Listen. Elizabeth mentions "Beware of banter" from our Podcast Manifesto.
- how Obligers can quit an activity when it feels like others expect them to stay; Elizabeth mentions executive coach Michael Melcher's excellent podcast Career Stewardship
- how an Upholder can be a "loser"
- how Obligers can find more ways to hold themselves accountable -- the listener mentions The Happiness Project Experience online course
- don't know if you're an Upholder, Questioner, Obliger, or Rebel? Take the free, quick quiz here (more than 3.2 million people have taken it).
- why Elizabeth loves the Real Housewives so much
- yes, if you see me in the Metropolitan Museum or Central Park, please say hello!
- how I organize my photos -- I mention Shutterfly and Framebridge
- why Elizabeth also goes by "Liz" -- she mentions her other podcast, Happier in Hollywood
- whether I've ever considered laser eye surgery
- whether Elizabeth gets worried about living in Los Angeles
- whether we're ever made unhappy by our constant quest for ways to boost our happiness
Listeners, please answer our questions!
- We're planning a Deep Dive into success stories from #Walk20in20, so send in your story. Email us at [email protected], leave a comment on this post, or get in touch on social media (I'm @gretchenrubin and Elizabeth is @lizcraft).
- So many people are eager for 2020 to come to an end. We're going to talk about different ways that we and listeners plan to "Exorcise 2020" and we'd love to hear your ideas. Email us at [email protected], leave a comment on this post, or get in touch on social media (I'm @gretchenrubin and Elizabeth is @lizcraft).
- Want to win a signed, personalized copy of my bestselling book The Happiness Project? To enter, follow my Instagram account @gretchenrubin, like the giveaway post, and comment on the post tagging 3 friends. If you win, I will send you a signed, personalized book. (Giveaway is only open to US readers, alas—mailing costs.)
- Registration is now open for The Happiness Project Experience! If you've ever wanted to try a happiness project, join now before the price goes up at the end of November. Every month, you can ask me questions on our monthly live calls, connect with a community of people on the same journey, get SMS reminders, and of course there’s video lessons, bonus interviews, worksheets, and everything you need to make 2021 your best year ever. Click here to register before the price goes up.