It’s holiday time! And that means it’s time to choose gifts for the people in our lives. Which can be fun, but can also be frustrating and difficult.
One of the best gifts to give is a book. How I love books. Plus they’re easy to wrap, easy to transport, and easy to re-gift if necessary.
But that leads to the question…what book?
Here are some suggestions for different categories of gift-recipients, with suggestions of books that I love.
If I’d made this list last week, or if I did it next week, I’m sure I’d come up with an entirely different list. I love so many books, it’s hard to pick out a few. But this is a start.
Book suggestions for all kinds of readers:
For someone who’s starting to date or looking for a job: First Impressions, Ann Demarais and Valerie White (Amazon)
For someone who loves essays: Selected Essays, George Orwell (Amazon)
If you’re buying a book for a child or young-adult, check out my list of 81 Favorite Works of Children’s and Young-Adult Literature. So many good books!
Of course, I can’t resist recommending my own books.
- The Happiness Project — great for someone who wants practical, concrete suggestions about how to make life happier
- The Happiness Project Mini Posters: A Coloring Book — for the person who loves to color
- The Happiness Project One-sentence Journal — for the person who wants to keep a journal, but finds that it’s just too much work and time
- The Happiness Project One-sentence Journal for Mothers — ditto. These make great keepsakes.
- Happier at Home — for a person who is moving, just moved, or is starting a new stage of life
- Better Than Before — for anyone who wants to make or break important habits
- Better Than Before Journal — for someone who likes to use a journal to help stick to a habit-change program
- The Four Tendencies — for anyone who loves a great personality quiz or test
- Forty Ways to Look at Winston Churchill — for a history lover or lover of biographies
If you’re giving one of my books as a gift, and want to put in a free, personalized bookplate to make it more special, sign up here to request one. Feel free to request as many as you want (within reason). Alas, because of mailing costs, I can offer this to people in the U.S. and Canada only. Sorry about that!
As I write about in my book Better Than Before, I’ve changed my reading habits so that now, if I don’t like a book, I stop reading it. So if you see a book listed in Goodreads or on Facebook, you know that I liked a book well enough to finish it.
I love to choose, give, and receive books!