Update: If you’re still gearing up for the new year, you might enjoy listening to Chris Guillebeau's episode on the terrific podcast Side Hustle School about “How to conduct your own annual review.” It's fascinating -- look for Extended Cut, #12.
Try This At Home: Say, "This is actually good for me."
Happiness Hack: To quit using an addictive app, Emily suggests using the "Strategy of the Clean Slate" and not add the app when you get a new phone. This strategy is one of the 21 strategies that I write about in my book Better Than Before, which is all about how to make and break habits.
Four Tendencies Tip: Liz, a Rebel, suggests that for a Rebel (and for other Tendencies, too), rather than making resolutions, try identifying "heroes" with whom you choose to identify.
Don't know if you're a Rebel, Upholder, Obliger, or Rebel? Take the quiz here. (Now 1.3 million people have taken the quiz!)
Before & After Story: This story comes from Gretchen (a different Gretchen), who decided to "Choose the bigger life" from episode 27:
In 2017, I was enduring the monotony of work and career. I had lost energy and engagement with work and I was trying to figure out what would truly be a stretch goal; helping to continue my quest for learning, playing with the idea of unpredictability (which I am not good with) and trying to understand if my current 20+ year career was actually a fulfilling path for me.
The short answer to all of this internal discussion: I moved to Paris. I love to travel. I decided to leave my job and move to France for 2018. It was not easy, but I am sitting in my adorable French apartment writing you because so much self-understanding and reflection occurred with your podcasts. I am thrilled at the potential of the year ahead. You don’t even need to get me started on discussing habit change in a new environment!
Gretchen's Demerit: When I had trouble falling asleep, I just lay there stewing instead of doing all the things I know would help me to fall asleep.
Elizabeth's Gold Star: She and Adam really have been entertaining more.
Resource: Each week, we ask listeners to rate and review our podcast, because it really does help listeners to find the show. If you've ever wondered how exactly to rate and review, here are the instructions.
And remember, if you're already subscribed to Happier (and we hope you are, because that also helps the show), you still need to SEARCH for Happier in the search box, in order to be able to rate and review.
- Open up the Podcasts App. It’s purple.
- Hit “Search” in the bottom right-hand corner.
- Make sure the “All Podcasts” option is highlighted purple.
- Type in “Happier.” Our podcast should come right up.
- Tap the podcast logo.
- Scroll down [this is confusing, this screen looks like it just lists all the episodes, but mid-way, the screen switches to other functions.]. About three-quarters down the page, you'll see the stars to rate the show -- we so appreciate it if you give us a rating.
- And you’ll also see a sample review. Right under that, in purple, you’ll find “Write a Review.”
- Tap it.
- You may have to re-enter your iTunes password at this point. You're almost there!
- Tap the stars to leave a rating, enter the title of your review (like a subject line), and write a review.
- Tap “Send."
Give yourself a gold star if you've rated or reviewed the show! We appreciate it so much. It really is a huge help.