Update: If you like to join the free New Year's resolution SMS Challenge, text NEWYEAR (one word) to +1 (844) 934-1913. You'll be asked to confirm your consent. Beginning January 9th, you'll receive 7 days of tips for making (and keeping) effective resolutions.
Listen to More Happier! Our new bi-weekly Saturday episode.
Try This at Home: Make your "22 for 22" list.
Anything is useful that prompts us to reflect on our lives, and what changes we might undertake to make ourselves happier, healthier, more productive, or more creative.
That prompt could be a date (like January 1 or a birthday), an event (like a medical diagnosis or a job change), or a new idea (like an idea from a book or someone's comment).
ELIZABETH: One-word theme for the year: STEP
- Get a Season 3 for Fantasy Island
- Hold a premiere party for Season 2 of Fantasy Island
- Get the shingles vaccine
- Take a family trip to San Francisco
- Celebrate Adam's milestone birthday in July
- Get her treadmill serviced
- Take a family trip to DisneyWorld
- With Adam, finish writing their will (carry-over from her "21 in 21" list)
- Buy a new arm for her microphone
- Get a colonoscopy – Elizabeth mentions the Satellite Sisters
- Go to the Electric Lake in Puerto Rico
- Organize a moms’ trip to see a comedian at Morongo – we mention the TV show Hacks
- Walk from Encino to Malibu (carry-over)
- Buy new outdoor furniture
- Get another dog (!) – listeners, how big is the jump from living with one dog to two dogs?
- Visit the Capri Room at Buca di Beppo in Encino
- Go to the Integratron (carry-over) sound bath
- Host a moms’ party in her backyard
- Read 22 novels
- Walk Nacho five times each week
- Send Christmas cards this year
- Arrange for professional family photos, with Nacho
Gretchen: One-word theme for the year: SALT
- Sign up for more sensory adventures by myself and with family and friends
- Clean up my office
- Encourage Eleanor to clear out her room – she's an abundance-lover
- Catch up on my physical photo albums
- Buy a big backpack for traveling
- Create more products – here, take a look at the products already created
- Invite my high-school friends to my apartment
- Take a trip with Eleanor
- Delegate 22 things
- Have a summer of re-reading
- Figure out if it's possible to have better soundproofing for my office
- Hang pictures
- Wear make-up every day – I mention the Vital 9 – and we mention our "month of wearing clothes"
- Take a daily nap, schedule permitting – #Rest22in22
- Do a daily reading “review” (carry-over)
- Have a scents party (carry-over)
- Take a watercolor class
- Be more systematic about connecting with friends and colleagues (carry-over)
- Review my giant “happiness” catch-all document (carry-over)
- Keep going to the Met every day
- Ask for permission to badger: Mom with decorations, Elizabeth with night snacking, Eleanor with driver’s license
- Add one item!
We love to see people's lists, so if you're so inclined, post your list to #22for22. We can get good ideas and encouragement for each other.
To get a one-pager where you can write your list neatly, download a free PDF here.
Happiness Hack: When sealing a box, use the "H-tape method": put one piece of tape across all open seams. The tape will make an H-shape across the box's top and bottom of the box (hence the name “H-tape method.") Don't keep adding more tape: more tape makes the box more likely to snag on the conveyor belt.
Demerits & Gold Stars
Gretchen's Demerit: I'm skipping emails that take time to review, instead of just tackling them right away. I'm reminding myself: "The stewing is worse than the doing."
Elizabeth's Gold Star: Elizabeth gives a gold star to people who organize group gifts. You’re appreciated!
- To join the free New Year SMS Challenge: text NEWYEAR (one word) to +1 (844) 934-1913.
- If you’re working on your habits in the new year, check out my bestselling book Better Than Before about the 21 strategies we can use to make or break our habits. Order your copy here or download a free sample chapter here– scroll down to Better than Before.
What we’re reading:
Elizabeth: Still listening to Life by Keith Richards (Amazon)