Try This at Home: Reflect on your one-word theme for the year.
Some of our previous choices of one-word themes:
- Elizabeth: "Free Time," "Style," "Hot Wheels," "Novel," "Home," “Control,” "#6," “Lighter,” and last year, “Butterfly.”
- Gretchen: “Upgrade,” “Bigger,” “Lighten Up,” “Re-purpose,” “Delegate,” “Infrastructure,” "Growth," and last year, “Open.”
In episode 358, we talked about our choices for this year. Being halfway through the year is a good reminder to review.
I mention the Calendar of Catalysts.
Gretchen's one-word theme: Salt.
I read a few quotations:
"Do you know of a cure for me?"
“Why yes," he said, "I know of a cure for everything: salt water."
"Salt water?" I asked him.
Elizabeth's one-word theme: Step. Ever forward! Step into the future!
For her, getting two dogs was a major step.
Elizabeth talks about using a baby bottle drying rack to dry water bottles.
I also mention my book Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter and Organize to Make More Room for Happiness.
Four Tendencies Tip: An Obliger asks how to speak to a Rebel spouse in a way that doesn't ignite a spirit of resistance.
Listener Question: I ask listeners: "Are you a professional smeller of some kind? Do you work in perfume, food, wine, personal products, or other kinds of products? How do you think that your work has affected your sense of smell, and vice versa?"
Demerits & Gold Stars:
- Gretchen's Demerit: I give myself a repeat demerit for using an annoyed tone when talking to my husband Jamie.
- Elizabeth's Gold Star: She gives her son Jack a gold star for finishing elementary school and for thinking hard about how he wants to tackle seventh grade.
- Try the Happier app for free—begin by tracking one aim to find the tool that works best for you or get the most out of the Happier app with a subscription. Head to thehappierapp.com to learn more.
- Join Elizabeth and me next Wednesday, June 29th at 6 pm ET for a YouTube Live event. We'll be talking about how we use many of the habit-change strategies covered in my book Better Than Before, the Four Tendencies, and more. Tune in or subscribe at https://www.youtube.com/gretchenrubin.
What we’re reading: