Update: Congratulations to Elizabeth and Sarah, who are about to hit a milestone for their podcast "Happier in Hollywood" -- tomorrow is their tenth episode. Teaser: in that episode, they interview the brilliant host of "Side Hustle School," Chris Guillebeau. Who is a Rebel, if you're curious.
Try This at Home: Look for an under-used area of your home. Create your own "nook" like my daughter Eleanor or a "Cozy Club" like Elizabeth and Emilie. We mention the try-this-at-home tip from episode 72, of having room of your own.
**Stay tuned for the promised photos of the Cozy Corner -- I thought our mother had the photo, but in her own recent efforts to clear space, she sent the photo to Elizabeth, and Elizabeth needs to find it. So hope to update with that soon!
Happiness Hack: When listener Korrine realized that she often cut her laps short when she was walking a one-mile loop, she switched to walking around a lake in a 2.7 mile circuit -- no way to cut it short. She's using several of the habit-formation strategies that I discuss in Better Than Before.
Happiness Stumbling Block: Perfectionism -- a very common stumbling block.
Send in your anti-perfectionist mantras! Here are some good ones:
- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."
- "Sometimes there are many right choices."
- "Don't get it perfect, get it going."
- "There's no wrong answer here."
- "Don't spend your time rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic."
- "Enjoy the fun of failure." (I write about this last one in The Happiness Project.)
Elizabeth’s Demerit: Elizabeth gives herself a demerit for not rating or reviewing other podcasts -- even though we ask for people to rate and review our podcast all the time. She (and I) simply didn't know how to do it. Turns out that it's easy! For written directions, scroll down here.
Gretchen’s Gold Star: In related news, I give a gold star to all the listeners who have so generously rated and reviewed us already. We so appreciate it -- it really does help new listeners discover the show.
- Want a new podcast to listen to, with the same vibe as Happier? The Onward Project is the family of podcasts that I’ve launched, for podcasts that are about “your life–made better.” Check out these great shows: Side Hustle School and Radical Candor and Happier in Hollywood.
- I've announced my book tour schedule, and I'd love to see a lot of "Happier" listeners at events. Info here.
- If you want to pre-order my book The Four Tendencies (and it’s a big help to me, if you do), go here.
If you want easy instructions about how to rate or review the podcast, look here. Remember, it really helps us if you do rate or review the podcast — it helps other listeners discover us.
As always, thanks to our terrific sponsors
Check out Smith and Noble, the solution for beautiful window treatments. Go to smithandnoble.com/happier for 20% off window treatments and free in-home or on-phone design consultations and free professional measuring.
Also check out Texture. Get access to all your favorite magazines — including back issues and bonus video content — in one super-convenient place. Try the app Texture for free by going to Texture.com/happier.
Also check out ThirdLove, the lingerie brand that uses real women’s measurements to design better-fitting bras. Try one of their bestselling bras for free, for 30 days, by visiting ThirdLove.com/happier.
Thanks to Our Sponsors
Some Favorite Things
We'd Love to Hear From You
More Episodes For You
Find out if you’re an Upholder, Obliger, Questioner, or a Rebel.
The Four Tendencies explain why we act and why we don’t act. Our Tendency shapes every aspect of our behavior, so understanding your Tendency lets us make better decisions, meet deadlines, suffer less stress and burnout, and engage more effectively.