The fifth anniversary of my book The Four Tendencies is coming up in September. Take the quiz to find out if you’re an Upholder, Questioner, Obliger or Rebel, and read the book to figure out the Tendencies of other people in your life. Which is sometimes even more valuable to know!
Labor Day is coming up — which is a great catalyst to reflect on our work lives, for #HappierLaborDay. If you’re looking for the Calendar of Catalysts, it’s here.
Try This at Home
Give your memory a break.
When traveling, try “Beat the Heat” hours for walking around. More generally, try experimenting with the time of day in which you do an activity.
Know Yourself Better:
What kind of procrastinator are you?
- Procrasti-clearing or procrasti-cleaning — I write about this challenge in my book Outer Order, Inner Calm
- Procrasti-creating — I remind myself that “Working is one of the most dangerous forms of procrastination.”
- Procrasti-scrolling — and the related procrasti-shopping
- Procrastic-waiting — wait for someone else to tell or invite you to go ahead
- Procrasti-gaming — Elizabeth mentions our Try-This-at-Home suggestion to “Delete a soul-sucking app” from episode 91
- Procrasti-claiming — making questionable claims about the rules that apply
These activities can be good, productive, a relief, and fun…but if they’re not done mindfully, they can get in the way of tackling higher priorities.
How can a Rebel talk to a new boss about his Rebel Tendency?
Demerits & Gold Stars
- Gretchen’s Demerit: I didn’t take enough photos on our family trip to Montana.
- Elizabeth’s Gold Star: She give herself a gold star for getting fully vaccinated for shingles. It’s part of her “Summer of Health.”
- Want to get more tips and strategies for happiness and good habits delivered directly to your inbox? Sign up for this bi-weekly newsletter.
- Want free, personalized, signed bookplates, for yourself or for gifts? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your mailing address! Feel free to ask for as many as you want, within reason. (Sorry! U.S. and Canada only—mailing costs.)